Description

Welcome to The Once Lost Wanderer. The name is derived from two poems: Amazing Grace by reformed slave trader John Newton, and All That is Gold Does Not Glitter by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (May 25, 2016)



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish



May 25: Ten Books I Feel Differently About After Time Has Passed (less love, more love, complicated feelings, indifference, thought it was great in a genre until I became more well read in that genre etc.)

I’m not sure I’ll come up with 10, but #1 is easy.

1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:  I first read this when I was about 10, and I thought it was the dumbest thing I’d ever read. (I guess I imagined myself well-read at 10.) Anyway, 30+ years later and I reread and loved it. More about this HERE.

2. I’m just going to say any novel written in stream-of-consciousness, to include most works by Faulkner, Woolf, Joyce. I hated Ulysses by James Joyce, my first experience, but the more I read of this style, the more I get used to it. Still not a favorite, probably never will be, but expanding my universe – all that.

3. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens: I loved this the first time, but enjoyed it even more with a recent reread. There is a good deal of foreshadowing that I missed the first time, that was very obvious with the reread.

4. The Call of the Wild by Jack London: Another one, where the different feelings are due mostly to reading as a child and then reading as an adult. As a child, I wanted Buck to remain with Thornton, his first kind and loving master; I didn’t really understand the point of the story: the primal call. As an adult, I was satisfied when Buck answered the call.

Those are the only ones that I can think of where there was a major shift in my feelings. There are many that improved somewhat with a second read. Conversely there were none that I liked less with a reread.

I might even give Ulysses a second chance someday.

8 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that Dickens gets better and better with every reading. I've not re-read David Copperfield (although technically I did read an abridged version when I was little, then the full version in my teens), but I did re-read Great Expectations quite a few times, and there was a lot of subtlety in there that I missed the first time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I have a few other Dickens rereads coming up.

      Delete
  2. I am still not sure about Ulysses...I did not like it the first time and could not even complete it the second time...but I am encouraged by your words and may give it a shot again...SOON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I won't love Ulysses with a reread, but I think I may appreciate it more.

      Delete
  3. Wuthering Heights. I first read this as a teenager and loved it. Probably every teenage girl loves it. On rereading it as an adult, I could only wonder how I didn't see what self absorbed miserable people Heathcliff and Cathy were. Couldn't do it again. I agree with the stream of consciousness writing. I've only read one...Mrs Dalloway. I really struggled with it. Although I can see why people think she's a great writer, because she did show a tremendous gift for language. But I don't think I'll try any more. And I still need to read The Little Prince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated WH the first read, but I didn't read it as a child...doubt as a boy I would have liked it either, though I can see to young girls it might have some appeal. Totally agree with about Heathcliff and Cathy...blech.

      Delete
  4. Interesting comment about David Copperfield. I loved it as a teen and read it a couple of times, but I enjoyed it even more as an adult and recently reread it knowing it wouldn't be the last time I would do so.

    I also agree about stream of consciousness writing. I am officially over trying to read anything by Virginia Woolf!

    I have still never read The Little Prince...someday I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Prince - Must Read for anyone with a soul.

      Delete

Comments are always welcome. In fact, they make my day. You needn't sign in to leave a comment. Just enter your comment, then on the "Comment as:" drop down menu, select "anonymous".