Sunday, March 5, 2017

6 Degrees - Fever Pitch to Death Comes for the Archbishop

6 Degrees is a monthly meme hosted by Kate @ Books Are My Favorite and Best.

I first found this meme @ Brona’s Books so she deserves a shout out as well.

I haven’t read the starting book, so I relied upon a synopsis, but the rest are from my own reading experience, and linked to my reviews.

The starting book for March is Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby




Hmmm – a football (soccer) story, sports fanatics, an underdog team, those were a bit hard, but a coming of age story – Eureka! But honestly, that’s too easy. So, I’m circling back to football – reminds me of Swede Levov, the main character from American Pastoral. Swede was a three-sport hero in High School (yeah, it was American Football, but I’m sticking with it anyway).













It is also the story of the disintegration of the American Dream, which led me to The Grapes of Wrath.  My hero from this tale is Ma Joad - desperately fighting to save her family.












Another heroic mother: Lady Jessica from Dune, mother of the main character, Paul, and mistress to Duke Atreides. Apologies to Brona, this is just where it took me, I wasn’t trying to follow your path :) I wasn't always especially fond of Paul, but I did like Lady Jessica.














Desert – sand – oppressive environment, reminded me of North Africa and the Sahara in The Sheltering Sky.














Desert – send – oppressive environment, now reminded me of The American Southwest, specifically 19th century New Mexico territory and the two gentle, noble priests, Bishop Latour and Father Vaillant who were NOT overcome by the rugged territory in Death Comes for the Archbishop.






There you have it. From Fever Pitch to Death Comes for the Archbishop. A bit different than where the #6degrees host ended up :)



2 comments:

  1. I'm delighted you've joined in this meme too Joseph - we enjoy it. I always love seeing the different way people link books. And I'm happy to share Dune with you.

    Death Comes for the Archbishop is on my TBR pile & I hope to get to it later this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one meme, I believe I'll participate in every month hereafter. You'll enjoy the Archbishop...I promise.

      Delete