Tuesday, December 18, 2018

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore                                                                        illustrated by David Lloyd 


V for Vendetta is a graphic novel, of a dystopian, post-apocalyptic world, set in near-future England.

As you know, this blog is mostly about classic novels. But, a while ago I decided to branch out a little and sample other genres, including the graphic novel. I did some searches for the greatest among the lot and came up with what I believe is a fair sample, and that is how this particular title ended up on my list.

To be honest, I was underwhelmed. I think it was largely due to my lack of sympathy for the anti-hero, a masked anarchist calling himself V. I wanted to cheer for him since I disliked the fascist state he was battling, that had once performed medical experimentation on him, but I just didn’t buy V’s anarchist world view.

As for the graphic novel as a genre, I’m not done yet. Thus far, it’s been a pretty good experience, though it won’t replace classic novels for me.

.

2 comments:

  1. maybe six months ago i read a graphic of the first vol. of Proust: it was quite good, i thought!

    ReplyDelete