Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Bible reading plans for 2019 and beyond

It comes into the palace to tell the monarch that he is a servant of the Most High, and into the cottage to assure the peasant that he is a son of God. ~ Henry Van Dyke, writing about the Bible.

For several years now, I’ve been reading through the Bible every year – usually a different version each year. I was perusing my bookshelves, contemplating which version to read this year, when a different book, a 5-volume set caught my eye:

Thru the Bible by J. Vernon McGee

And oh what a flood of enlightening memories, and what a wonderful idea.

Before I describe my Bible reading plan, a little background on the author of Thru the Bible.

J. Vernon McGee was an ordained Presbyterian minister, a non-denominational pastor, and Doctor of Divinity – though I never heard him addressed as Doctor. He was also a radio Bible teacher. His Thru the Bible broadcast was a daily and systematic study of every chapter of the Bible. The entire series lasted 5 years. J. Vernon McGee passed on in 1988, but his radio message continues to be replayed year after year on hundreds of radio stations.

If you never heard J. Vernon McGee – well you missed something worth not missing. He had a kindly voice, and homespun wisdom that belied his scholarly credentials. He was as non-divisive as any minister of the Gospel I’ve heard. He provided little commentary, but rather expounded the scriptures as literally and conscientiously as possible – if the listener objected, they were free to argue with God.

But there is good news (pardon the pun that some of you will get), you can download recordings of any portion, or the entirety of the 5-year Thru the Bible program for FREE HERE.

Eventually, the radio broadcast was compiled into written form – the five-volume set I spoke of. I don’t remember when or how my wife and I acquired this set, but I’ve never read it. So, my Bible reading plan is simple – I will read through the Bible according to the Thru the Bible schedule, and accompany that reading with J. Vernon’s exposition. This of course, means a five year journey.

2019 will be…
Volume 1: Genesis – Deuteronomy (the Pentateuch or Torah)

And subsequent years
Volume 2: Joshua – Psalms
Volume 3: Proverbs – Malachi (concluding the Old Testament)
Volume 4: Matthew – Romans (the Gosepls +)
Volume 5: Corinthians – The Revelation

I decided upon my most well-worn Bible, The Scofield Study Bible – King James Version to make this journey, and lo and behold, it is the version J. Vernon most often cites.

.

2 comments: