Thursday, June 9, 2022

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

The Prince was written by Niccoló Machiavelli as a gift, having no other suitable gift, for his prince. It is political theory and philosophy intended to instruct the young prince on how to rule his dominion well and securely. I admire Machiavelli for this:  recognizing that wisdom is a gift at least as valuable as the fancy baubles that others might offer.

 

However, my admiration principally ends there. Machiavelli espouses a philosophy of situation ethics, which posits, the end justifies the means. Indeed his name has become synonymous with the concept.

 

I recognize, in many instances, this is the way of the world. Many world leaders, past and present, have taken pages from Machiavelli’s playbook…Literally! By literally, I mean…ahem! Literally! I believe, many have read it, decided it makes good sense, and have adopted the methods to their own rule. It isn’t just political. I am certain that many a shrewd businessperson also follows Machiavelli’s precepts.

 

…it is unnecessary for a prince to have all the good qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them.

I do not endorse Machiavelli’s philosophy, though I acknowledge its efficacy. I read his treatise, to see how the other half lives. The Lord Jesus told a parable of an unjust steward. I believe he was instructing his disciples to understand the ways of the world. He said:

…the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light…

 
He was not telling them to emulate the unjust steward, but to be aware, and beware.

 

Hence, I read Machiavelli. I can be a bit naïve about the ways of the world. The Prince certainly hard slapped some of that naïveté out of me.

 

Christ also admonishes his followers to be wise as serpents, and gentle as doves. Machiavelli made me wise to the ways of the world; I pray the Lord will make me gentle.

 

Excerpts:  to illustrate Machiavelli’s philosophy, not to endorse it.

 

For injuries ought to be done all at one time, so that, being tasted less, they offend less, benefits ought to be given little by little, so that the flavor of them may last longer.

 

Upon this a question arises:  whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved…     

 

…men have less scruple in offending one who is beloved than one who is feared…

 

…those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account…

 

If men were entirely good this precept would not hold, but because they are bad, and will not keep faith with you, you too are not bound to observe it with them.

 

…it is unnecessary for a prince to have all the good qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them.

 

.


4 comments:

  1. It just shows how man's nature often gets the better of him and to act with integrity, we have to fight against it. Great review, Joseph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I felt the same when I read it: to acknowledge the efficacy of it and how well it works upon the masses, but it certainly gives the people reason to grumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a pretty good idea before reading it that I wouldn't be a fan of Machiavelli's philosophy...but it was still interesting.

      Delete