Tuesday, October 4, 2022

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (novel #209)

Toady; you know well that your songs are all conceit
and boasting and vanity; and your speeches are all self-praise and – and – well, and gross exaggeration and – and…
~ Rat

 

And Gas ~ Badger

 

 

The Wind in the Willows is a charming tale about anthropomorphized animals, and although it is considered a children’s story, adults may enjoy it as well. I certainly did.

 

It is about the sweet friendship between Rat (water rat) and Mole, the wild adventures of Toad, and the interventions Rat, Mole, and Badger make to help Toad mend his self-destructive and expensive ways. There are also two chapters that I would call parenthetical that involve Rat and Mole but are not essential to the plot: "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "Wayfarers All". They have an ethereal, almost dreamlike quality.

 

But to the main story: everyone should have a friend like Rat. He helps Mole, coming out into the wide world from his underground life. Rat teaches fastidious Mole to relax.

 

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing – absolute nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.

 

But also to beware.

 

Beyond the Wild Wood comes the Wide World.

 

It’s a children’s story, but something more profound is hidden beneath the surface. It is based partly on The Odyssey, or Toad at least is based on Odysseus. It is vague and uncertain most of the time. Still, Grahame leaves little doubt by naming the final chapter “The Return of Ulysses” (Ulysses: Latin version of Odysseus) as Toad finally returns to his fabulous home, Toad Hall.

 

In the end, thanks to his friends, Toad is turned to something better, though the reader doubts it is for good.

 

 

My rating:  4 out of 5 stars


 

 .

 

 

 


6 comments:

  1. I did not know that this was loosely based on The Odyssey! I've only ever seen a theatre production in the park with the kids. As a child I strongly disliked stories with anthropomorphized animals and therefore missed out on reading this, Winnie the Pooh and anything by Beatrix Potter. Alice in Wonderland also suffered the same fate. I'm slowly making up for this as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know either, and since I've not read The Odyssey, I probably wouldn't have caught it on my own.

      Delete
  2. I love this story so much. It is everything you say it is! I remember when I made my 4th grader sit down and read it himself (before I read it myself) -- I was crazy. It's not easy reading. So I read it aloud and that's when I first fell in love with it. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! It's warm and fuzzy and relaxing -- like taking sipping hot tea on a cold rainy day. You see the sunshine and the green and the animals so sprightly and so recognisable simply because they are people in the Wind in the Willows. Toad reminds me so much of my cousin when we were kids -- all over the place and over excited! And I love how Mole seems to discover everything wonderful about this world along with us! It's been years since I read this book...I'm hoping to re-read it soon.

    Was excited to read your review!

    ReplyDelete