Sunday, July 24, 2016

A - Z survey



I got this from Zezee, and she says the origins are: Read Books and Drink Coffee. It was created by Jamie, the Perpetual Page-Turner.

It looked like a fun survey, and I’m bored with my current read. So here goes.

Author you’ve read the most books from:  Charles Dickens (but I still have more Dickens TBR than I’ve read)

Best sequel ever:  Hmmm…classics don’t give me a lot of sequels, so going back away when I was reading all of Tom Clancy. I’m gonna cheat a little, cuz this is actually a prequel. Clancy received so much mail asking about the origins of the character Clarke, that he finally wrote Without Remorse. It was probably my favorite Clancy novel…but it’s some pretty grim reading.

Currently reading: The Ambassadors (not loving it)

Drink of choice while reading: Wine (usually Malbec)

E-reader or physical book: eReader, but I own a hardcover of all the classics I’ve read, my bookshelf is a trophy case.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school: Jenny Gray from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Glad you gave this book a chance: Ender’s Game. I don’t read a lot of Sci-Fi, but I had to read this before the move. It was very good.

Hidden gem book: I’m not really sure what “hidden” means, other than perhaps, not that well known. So, I’ll say The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

Important moment in your reading life: Reading a novel in entirety at the Library of Congress.

Just finished: The Count of Monte Cristo (loved it)

Kinds of books you won’t read: Occult themes.

Longest book you’ve read: War and Peace

Major book hangover because of: Ulysses because it was such a chore to read.

Number of bookcases you own: 8

One book you have read multiple times: The Lord of the Rings

Preferred place to read: A bedroom in our home that serves as the library

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read: First, and I know I’m rather fussy about this, but it’s a quotation, not a quote. And this you can know—fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe. ~ The Grapes of Wrath

Reading regret: Long Story: I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was 10. In the back of the editions that I read, there was an address to join the Tolkien fan club. I always intended to – never did. And then the fantastic Peter Jackson films, and lo and behold ALL of the members of that original fan club had their names in the credits of the final movie. I shoulda been listed there.

Series you started and need to finish (all books are out in series): Dune (aka the Duniverse)

Three of your all-time favorite books: The Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Flies, and To Kill a Mockingbird (sorry Jillian, if it was FOUR all-time favorites Gone with the Wind would have made it.)

Unapologetic fangirl for: Ummm…yeah, I got nothin

Worst bookish habit: again, nothin

X Marks the Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book: Tom Jones

Your latest book purchase: Money

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late): The Count of Monte Cristo

7 comments:

  1. Gone with the Wind is queen, so it can't be included as a favorite. That wouldn't be fair to the other books. :)

    No fangirling? Yeah, me either. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you totally should have gone to that club! I'm glad you mentioned your Library of Congress post. I remember it well. It reminds me that I still haven't yet visited LOC and that's a shame because it's just down the road (kinda).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a trip, and of course free...until you hit the bookstore right at the exit...and for us, the temptations just too great.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes. Like moth to a flame but it's our wallets that get stung.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious and had to see what my 27th book was. National Geographic's Guide to North American Birds. Ha! But on the way I passed Tolkien, Herriot, Bradbury, and Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere I've got a guide to birds too, but not afforded full honors on my "literature" shelves. You have some good ones, no make it great ones there. I'm past due for a new Herriot read, but I feel none will be as good as All Creatures Great and Small.

      Delete