Description

Welcome to The Once Lost Wanderer. The name is derived from two poems: Amazing Grace by reformed slave trader John Newton, and All That is Gold Does Not Glitter by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Classics Club – July Meme: Question #43


A meme reboot from February 2015Pick a book published since 2000 and say why you think it will be considered as a “classic” in the future.

I don’t think I answered this the first time, so...

Reading mostly classics, I don’t read many published since 2000 – exactly one in fact in the first 70 of 100. And then of course, it’s already considered a classic. So it’s the obvious choice, but a worthy one regardless.

Atonement by Ian McEwan. The “why?” is simple. It’s superbly written, with a compelling theme, and believable characters.



Now that I’ve been faithful to the precise rules of this meme, I’m going to cheat a little and mention one other that comes close: American Pastoral by Philip Roth, published 1997.


5 comments:

  1. I still have yet to read any Ian McEwan, but I will definitely be checking out Atonement soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth it. Thanks for the feedback. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with both of these, especially American Pastoral - a great book that I reckon deserves the Great American Novel title, and well worth cheating by a few years for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. See the link below for more info.

    #winning
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. In fact, they make my day. You needn't sign in to leave a comment. Just enter your comment, then on the "Comment as:" drop down menu, select "anonymous".