Saturday, April 8, 2017

Homer (the Greek Poet) and The Santa Anita Derby - NOVA this week

Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).

If you follow this blog very closely, you know I like to play the ponies – especially the Kentucky Derby. The Derby is less than a month away, and the hopefuls are on the Derby Trail with three major prep races this weekend.

And one of the races has a horse with a name from Classic Literature, so I thought I’d write about him for NOVA this week.

But first – and if you follow this blog very closely, you know I am a bit fussy about words. So, I am compelled to point out that none of the runners in these races are horses, or ponies either (though I’ve referred to them as both in this post). They are mostly colts, there may be a gelding or a rig in the field…no fillies this year. But I digress.

Hot tip of the day: Iliad to win in the 8th at Santa Anita (that’s the Santa Anita Derby). His main competition will be American Anthem.

The Blue Grass Stakes looks like a three horse (colt) race between McCracken, Tapwrit and Practical Joke. If I have to pick one, I’ll go with Tapwrit because his trainer is one of the best in the biz.

The Wood Memorial is also close, but I give a slight edge to Battalion Runner over Cloud Computing, and Irish War Cry.

And the upset special: Milton Freewater in the Santa Anita, because his papa won me some money, and his papa (unlike the son), had one of the best names in thoroughbred racing – Creative Cause.

You really ought to be paying me for this.



No comments:

Post a Comment