Saturday, September 9, 2017

There is but ONE Universe - NOVA this week

Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).

It should not be surprising that a book blogger is a logophile – lover of words – but just to be clear, I will affirm that, I am indeed a logophile.

Most of the time, that’s a lot of fun. There are, after all, lots words out there to play with.

However, there are other times, when being a logophile can be highly annoying, like when I hear or read gross misuse of words. Such as: there, their, and they’re; to or too (people don’t often get “two” wrong, just the other two); pronouncing the word nuclear as NEW-CUE-LER; adding a qualifier to unique, ie “very unique”, “slightly unique”; cavalry vs Calvary; etc.

These are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

But one of my favorite blunders to hate is any reference to an “alternate universe” or “other universes” or universes (plural).

These are particularly egregious because the users often insist they are not incorrect.

But – THEY ARE INCORRECT.

I know that sounds dogmatic. Yep!



There IS only one Universe. It literally means everything. You can’t have everything – and then all the other stuff besides everything. No one speaks of “alternate everythings” or “other everythings”. In fact, when I wrote this, the word processor put a red line under "everythings", indicating it is not a word – because it cannot be plural. You can’t have two separate piles of everything.

Similarly, you cannot have more than one Universe. You can’t have the totality of all things that exist – and then a few other things.

You can speak of parallel galaxies, or distant worlds, or other star systems, or the restaurant at the end of the Universe – but please – only ONE Universe.

Disclaimer – I’m just having fun with words. NOVA this week is just an excuse for me to write. Although, to be clear, there really is only one Universe.

Live justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with thy God.

The Wanderer

2 comments:

  1. I love words too, and have many of the pet peeves you have although the one universe one didn't strike a nerve until you mentioned it!

    Happy word play...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Jane...fellow word nerd. One convert at a time. Eventually I'll rid the Universe of this plague.

      Delete