Saturday, September 7, 2019

R.I.P (a spook inspired reading challenge)

R.I.P


I’ve always wanted to participate in R.I.P (Readers Imbibing Peril) – well, not always, but since whenever I first became aware of it – but some self-imposed reading schedule has precluded me in years previous.

But not this year – I planned ahead; wrapped up my Back to the Classics 2019 Challenge early, so I’d be ready.

I’m going for Peril in the First Degree by reading four works from the loosely defined criteria. I will read:


The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (a Sherlock Holmes short story)


Dracula by Bram Stoker

Update: The following were not part of my original R.I.P plan, but since they are both Ghost Stories, I'm adding them as bonus reads for my R.I.P challenge.

Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens



.


10 comments:

  1. Nice list and good planning! I will be interested in hearing what you think of Dracula. It can be tricky coming to those books that are SO FAMOUS, you know? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I'm trying not to set expectations too high, but I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. I read Dracula for RIP last year--I was surprised how good a read I found it. I'd sort of figured I knew all about it already

    I've only seen the movie Coraline, but that's definitely a good RIP choice.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reese...I haven't seen the Coraline movie, so I am looking forward to the read.

      Delete
  3. Great list. Didn't realize this had started. I'll see what I can listen to, as my physical reading time is woefully lacking right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to have you join in...but take care of what's most important. :)

      Delete
  4. I really thought Dracula was a terrific novel. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coraline is great. But the Sandman series is better, though it can get really disturbing, which is not everyone's cup of tea. I tried Dracula, years ago (I think it was after I read Frankenstein) and I didn't get very far, but maybe you will like it more than I did.

    I haven't finished my Back to the Classics 2019 Challenge, but my first book for RIP doubles as one of my entries:
    https://bethsbookishthoughts.blogspot.com/2019/09/review-kwaidan-stories-and-studies-of.html

    And I'm listening to The House on the Borderland, my pick for the Novella category of Back to the Classics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first Sandman. It whet my appetite for more Gaiman. Thanks Beth.

    ReplyDelete