Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (novel #180)

“We are all subject to the fates. But we must all act as if we are not,” said the witch, “or die of
despair….”

 

The Golden Compass [North American title], was published in the U.K. as Northern Lights. It is the first book in Pullman’s trilogy, His Dark Materials

 

The Golden Compass, like the trilogy, is often categorized as young-adult fantasy, and although I understand the distinction, I think it transcends young-adult. 

 

It takes place in another world – another universe – ugh!

 

Rant coming; little to do with my overall review, feel free to skip this section...but there ARE NOT other universes, alternate universes, parallel universes, multiple universes…there ARE NOT. Not even in fiction; it’s impossible. Universe LITERALLY means everything combined into one. There cannot be EVERYTHING, and then the other stuff besides everything. Universe = Everything. There can be other worlds, other galaxies, other solar systems, but not other universes. It’s me; it isn’t you (or Pullman). Rant over. I feel better. ***deep, cleansing breath***

 

It takes place in another WORLD, a parallel world, similar to our Earth. It is Earth, but different. It shares geography, peoples, and history, such as London, Germans, or historical persons, but in other ways very different: Such as talking bears, flying witches, and humans all having personal dæmons: an inseparable sentient being, in animal form, that represents the human’s true self. It is implied that there are other worlds still, presumably one being our Earth.

 

The heroine is 12-year-old Lyra Belacqua and her dæmon Pantalaimon. Orphaned Lyra is well provided for at Jordan College, and is occasionally visited by her mysterious and intimidating uncle, Lord Asriel. Something sinister is afoot, and it clearly has something to do with magnificent discoveries Lord Asriel has made in the far north. Roger, one of Lyra’s friends disappears, rumor has it her uncle is imprisoned, and Lyra is taken under the protection of a fascinating and mysterious woman. 

 

Lyra and Pantalaimon, who can take different forms often a mouse or ermine, set out to rescue Roger and Lord Asriel and expose the sinister forces. It seems like a big undertaking for a girl of 12, but Lyra has some of the qualities of her uncle, plus she is a schemer and a talented liar. She will receive help along the way from unexpected sources, but who can she trust?

 

As a fantasy novel, it is an enjoyable read, with some fascinating characters, marvelous settings, and surprising twists. At times, it was absolutely riveting. I have one very minor criticism of the plot: the child of the prophecy trope is getting a little tired. 

 

The Golden Compass also seems to be Pullman’s indictment of Christianity. Some have called it the antithesis to Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia – though I’m not aware of Pullman making that claim. He does make references to Milton’s Paradise Lost, so that comparison is clearly intentional. If it were only a criticism of organized Christianity, I’d say that’s fair, but he goes well beyond this to dispute fundamental tenets of Christianity by misquoting scripture – blatantly misquoting – that’s not fair, and it fails in intent.

 

I’m often reluctant to begin a trilogy, because once I start, I feel committed. I may not like the writing, or the story, but still I want closure. In some trilogies, single books can stand alone as complete stories, in others, that isn’t the case. The Golden Compass is somewhere in between. The dilemma in this story is fairly well sorted out in the end, only to reveal a greater conflict. But, I doubt I’ll read more.

 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



 

For the original title Northern Lights, this novel satisfies title with reference to outer space in the What’s in a Name 2021 challenge. It hit me when writing this, that the Northern Lights are actually an atmospheric phenomenon – not literally outer space, but I think it satisfies the spirit of the challenge, so I’m going to count it regardless.

 

.

4 comments:

  1. I've never wanted to read his books but I appreciate your thoughts on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when the books came out. I had read they were anti-Christian so I never read them. However, I'm glad to read a review about them from a Christian perspective.

    I have often found it to be true that anti-Christian writers love to quote Scripture out of context or set up straw man situations to prove their point. They only convince those that are already on their side.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

      Delete