Description

Welcome to The Once Lost Wanderer. The name is derived from two poems: Amazing Grace by reformed slave trader John Newton, and All That is Gold Does Not Glitter by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Monday, February 8, 2016

What classic most surprised me? The Classics Club meme reboot



“What classic has most surprised you so far, and why?”

Rather than naming a single classic that most surprised me, I’ll say my biggest surprise so far has been the Russian authors collectively.

Dostoevsky was the first Russian author I read:  The Brothers Karamazov followed closely by Tolstoy:  Anna Karenina.

I was intimidated by the Russian authors, and didn’t know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by both. They were both easy to read and quite captivating. The only challenge was getting used to the numerous name variations that could apply to a single character.

If I had to pick one of these, and I probably better as The Classics Club moderators can be pretty demanding, I’d go with the Bros. K because I had less idea of the plot. I knew Anna K was a tragic romance. By the way, it’s MUCH more than that.

And it just happens, that I’ll be getting my second dose of both authors shortly. I have War and Peace and Crime and Punishment coming up a bit later this year.

Honorable mention to Dune by Frank Herbert – the gold standard in Sci-Fi. One-Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez – because I had no idea what to expect. It was unusual and captivating, and one of the best opening lines ever. Beloved by Toni Morrison – the travesty of slavery told in unique way.

4 comments:

  1. You will love War and Peace...I enjoyed it even more than Anna K which is also a favorite! I love your modernized nomenclatures ..Anna K and Bros K...adopting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. War and Peace was a fantastic read but I think it took me as long to review it as it did to read it! I had a good experience with Dostoyevsky last year so I really should read one of his biggies (either the Bros. K. or C&P) this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think I should enjoy War and Peace :) Thanks Cleo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. In fact, they make my day. You needn't sign in to leave a comment. Just enter your comment, then on the "Comment as:" drop down menu, select "anonymous".