Description

Welcome to The Once Lost Wanderer. The name is derived from two poems: Amazing Grace by reformed slave trader John Newton, and All That is Gold Does Not Glitter by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Saturday, May 6, 2017

The Run for the Roses (NOVA this week)

Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).

And now a brief respite from bookish things. It is the first Saturday in May, The Run for the Roses, The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports – The Kentucky Derby.

Lest I depart entirely from the theme of my blog, I’ll point out a few horses with lyrical names. None more so than Sonneteer. The only other that strikes me is Always Dreaming.

But this is just frivolity. The real point is: who will win? I believe Always Dreaming will wear the garland of roses – though I believe Classic Empire and Irish War Cry will contend. A long shot I like is State of Honor, and an extreme long shot (50-1) that I give a chance, is Sonneteer.


Something I wrote about my favorite horse…Ghosts of Derbies Past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. In fact, they make my day. You needn't sign in to leave a comment. Just enter your comment, then on the "Comment as:" drop down menu, select "anonymous".