Monday, November 16, 2020

CLASSICS CLUB SPIN #25

It is time for the 25th edition of the Classics Club Spin – List 20 books from my Classics Club TBR, the mods pick a random number between 1 - 20, and I have until January 30, 2021 to read the corresponding book. 

 

I’m hoping for unlucky #13 – Our Worm Ouroboros. I’m not dreading any, but I’m probably least enthusiastic about #16, The Wonderful Adventures of Nils. I’ve loaded up with Dickens, the seven remaining works I need to complete all his novels. Besides Dickens, there are four authors whom I’ve read before: Evelyn Waugh, Saul Bellow, Philip Roth, and John Fowles. I enjoyed my previous reads of these authors, so I’d welcome any of them. But of course, I also love to pick up a “new-to-me” author (especially among the Classics). 


 

1. The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh

2. Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens

3. Sybil, or The Two Nations by Benjamin Disraeli

4. Herzog by Saul Bellow

5. The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett

6. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens

7. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

8. Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline

9. The Recognitions by William Gaddis

10. Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

11. The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen

12. The Adventures of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

13. The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Addison

14. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

15. Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens

16. The Wonderful Adventures of Nils by Selma Lagerlöf

17. Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens

18. The Magus by John Fowles

19. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

20. Hard Times by Charles Dickens

16 comments:

  1. Some long books there! Dombey and Son is one of my favorite Dickens, but it's long. The Recognitions would be tough, too--I'm afraid I punked on it once. Whew! I need to put together my list, but I don't think it will be this ambitious!

    The Eddison, though, should be fun if #13 comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't exactly realize when I made it out there were so many long ones, but that's OK. (nothing is long anymore after reading BOTH In Search of Lost Time, and A Dance to the Music of Time)

      Delete
  2. Great list. I haven't read all of Dickens, however, my favorites are David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to read all of Dickens but I do have a few to go. Some of his more loved ones though, which is good. I did enjoy Martin Chuzzlewit. Jewett or Disraeli would be interesting or even Wives and Daughters. Good luck with the spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing here that I would be disappointed if it comes up. Whether I'd be disappointed after reading...that's another question.

      Delete
  4. I have Wives and Daughters on my CC list, too, but I purposefully did not include it on this spin...I'm finishing up W&P and I didn't want to read two huge novels right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved W&P, it didn't even seem all that huge.

      Delete
  5. so good luck for 13. Which would be Inspector French’s Greatest Case for me:
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2020/11/20/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-25/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! If this was my list, I would have hoped for #7, Wives and Daughters, but if the dice falls in your favor on #13 - I will be very happy about the selection on my list.

    Here it is! Elza Reads #CCSpin 25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky #7, unlucky #13. I'd be happy with either. Cheers!

      Delete
  7. Joseph, I have also loaded up my list this time with Charles Dickens, as we have longer to tackle a chunkster. These include Little Dorrit and Hard Times and a re-read of Nicholas Nickleby. Good luck! 🤞😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found, I like Dickens often even better with a reread. He drops a lot of foreshadowing, that you don't catch on your first read. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Very good list, I've read just 4 in there, I remember Céline was powerful but depressing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I'm anxious to find out what we get. Cheers!

      Delete