Saturday, September 5, 2015

NOVA this week (September 5, 2015)



Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).

As I explained last week, my intention for NOVA is simply a writing exercise. (Writing exercise: hold that thought.) I watch for some intriguing prompt; if that fails I have a source or two that suggest a prompt.

However, both failed this week and I’m left needing a topic. So, I’ve decided to write about writing or more precisely about composing. Because truthfully we seldom write: to trace or form (characters, letters, words, etc.) on the surface of some material, as with a pen, pencil, or other instrument or means; inscribe

I’ve confessed elsewhere on this blog that I’m fussy about words. So although I’ll concede there are secondary definitions of “write” which include compose, I reject those definitions as adulterated meanings that have become acceptable by common and prolonged misuse.

The same way in which “literal” can now mean – exactly NOT literal. For the record, I hate that; it signals the end of civilization as we know it.

So, back on track, “write” is not right; “write” is wrong. I should say typing; except it’s not typing either; it’s keystroking. I should say I need a keystroking prompt, but that seems rather stilted. And to stick with the increasingly absurd theme of this treatise – I didn’t “say” I need a keystroking prompt; I keystroked it. That’s just wrong – right?

But I don’t really want to keystroke. I want to compose. That’s the correct word.

Words – ya gotta love em.

Personally, I’m glad we don’t write much anymore. My writing is terrible. Do they even teach cursive in school anymore? I’m very happy I took typing back in high school; it was actually typing then. I can keystroke somewhere in the area of 55 words per minute, and that makes composing much easier than writing what I compose.

I’ve also confessed elsewhere on this blog that I hope to “write” the Great American Novel, or at least the fairly decent Hoboken novel. I shudder at the thought of actually “writing” it. I hope to compose by keystroking. Someday, that will be absurd. There are already programs that convert spoken word into text files. I prefer to keystroke. I don’t think I think fast enough to compose via spoken word.

I imagine, I am not the only book blogger who aspires to be a writer…err…novelist, author, poet. If you read my post earlier this week, I won I WON! then you know I’ve already achieved some acclaim as a writer…ummmm

I give up: writer, writing, write – all work even if it’s actually keystroking.

But that whole “literal” can now mean “virtual” thing – that’s pure evil.


2 comments:

  1. Writing is thinking "aloud" on paper/computer screen. If we did not think, we would go (be) insane (or worse, vegetables). So, onward!

    BTW, I have a slightly different take on writing (literature) at my blog posting today (Beyond Eastrod) when I consider writing (literature) as a mirror. We cannot help but gaze at the mirror. If we do not, we cease to be human. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. In fact, they make my day. You needn't sign in to leave a comment. Just enter your comment, then on the "Comment as:" drop down menu, select "anonymous".