Friday, October 19, 2018

Recap of novels 101 - 110

Average rating of novels 101-110 – 3.9 stars (out of 5) 




101.  ★★★         Gadsby by Ernest Vincent Wright

102.  ★★½         The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

103.  ★★★½      The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

104.  ★★★         The Man Who was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton

105   ★★★         Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
106.  ★★½         Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
107.  ★★★★      A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

108.  ★★★★         Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

109.  ★★★★         The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

110.  ★★★★          Middlemarch by George Elliot
 


Favorite: A Tale of Two Cities (now my all-time favorite novel)
Honorable Mention: The Little Prince

Least Favorite: The Pickwick Papers

Best Hero: Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities
Best Heroine: Dorothea from Middlemarch

Best Villain: Quilp from The Old Curiosity Shop

Most interesting/Complex character: Sunday from The Man Who was Thursday

Best Quotation: It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known. Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities

Best Subtitle: Gadsby: 50,000 Word Novel Without the Letter “E”

Best film adaptation: Of Mice and Men

Worst film adaptation: I’m sorry to say I did not like the 2015 animated rendition of The Little Prince.

Film adaptation that is neither better nor worse than the novel – but different:  1961 Breakfast at Tiffany’s with Audrey Hepburn in perhaps her most iconic role. It’s a very good movie – if you aren’t expecting a faithful adaptation. And even though Audrey Hepburn does not match the physical description of Holly – she is so iconic to the role, I pictured her the entire time I was reading.

.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I love the beginning of "A Tale of Two Cities" and I love the ending, but I really felt like the middle of it was a chore more than a pleasure. Sad to see the animated film of the Little Prince wasn't good but I'm glad you have the book 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to like the movie, and I'm not averse to changing things up a bit, but it just didn't capture the Prince's sweetness and innocence.

      Delete
  2. Nice round up! I agree that the novella and the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's are different but both good in their own right.

    ReplyDelete