Saturday, September 4, 2021

Six Degrees of Separation: from Second Place to The Pilgrim's Progress

Six Degrees of Separation is a monthly meme hosted by Kate @ booksarmyfavouriteandbest

 

I usually try to stick to the classics, though that isn’t among the official rules. 

 

This month’s chain begins with Second Place by Rachel Cusk (haven’t read it). But, as the Olympics just wrapped up last month, second place reminds me of the silver medal, and that reminds me of…

 

The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier, which I also haven’t read, but it’s in my TBR. And silver reminds me of…

 

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad, wherein a silver mine is central to the plot. This is a very good novel by the way, better in my opinion than Conrad’s better known novel…

 

Heart of Darkness, which was adapted to film as Apocalypse Now...a very loose adaptation, with geographic and historical setting completely changed. That reminds me of...


The Tempest by William Shakespeare, because it was also loosely adapted in film as Forbidden Planet. The Tempest has the character Caliban, and that reminds me of…

 

Vanity Fair by William Thackeray, because one of the characters refers to Caliban. And finally, Vanity Fair reminds me of…

 

The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan, as Thackeray quotes from Pilgrim’s Progress, and of course Vanity Fair, is one of many allegorical settings in Pilgrim’s Progress.

 

 


 

And that’s how you get from Second Place to Pilgrim’s Progress.


.

 

24 comments:

  1. Great first link - very topical. I also liked your flow chart :-)
    Thanks for the trivia on Heart of Darkness. I would never have connected the two films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film, in its own right a classic, is one of those rare instances where the film is better than the book.

      Delete
  2. I love your silver medal link - very clever! I have read The Tempest and Vanity Fair, but none of the others in your chain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pilgrims Progress was one of my favourite books as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have vague recollections of it...I think I read a children's version. I'm due for a read to the full story.

      Delete
  4. Very clever first link! I didn't even occur to me to use 'silver', even though I watched loads of the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's funny, I've had several comments about that...but it just seemed a natural and obvious link to me.

      Delete
  5. I still have my copy of The Silver Sword, which I got as an 11 year old (I'm now 74) and which gripped me as my father was Polish. I daren't re-read it in case it doesn't have the same draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...I think you ought to reread. I often find long ago favorites better the second time around. You do you though of course. :)

      Delete
  6. Great choices--Vanity Fair, and Pilgrim's Progress in the same chain. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting connection. I enjoyed most of those stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I often have to use some book I wasn't crazy about in 6 Degrees, but not this time.

      Delete
  8. A series of links after my own heart - love the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a different way to do this. When I get stuck on the starter book I always try to think 'laterally' but usually fail miserably; I clearly need to watch and learn!

    I had no idea that The Tempest (one of my favourites) was the basis for Forbidden Planet (which I've never seen.) I love (and have read!) Vanity Fair and enjoyed the 2018 TV adaptation, which was cruelly overshadowed by Bodyguard, which was screened at the same time on another channel. I hope they repeat VF soon.

    I'm so pleased to have found my way to your very interesting blog via 6 Degrees. I will subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forbidden Planet is a lot of fun...a little campy as most 60s Sci-Fi-Fi, but I recommend it. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. It's the sort of film I'd probably never watch, but now I will give it a go!

      I tried to sunscribe to your blog but when I click on the little box it gives me a list of things I don't know about - is there an easier way to do it?

      Thanks.

      Delete
    3. Yes, those links were not helpful. I've removed them now. Near the bottom, on any page of my blog, there is the "FOLLOWERS" section, and right below it is the "Follow" button. I think that will work for you.

      Delete
  10. awesome way of connecting all these classics! Here is my quirky chain: https://wordsandpeace.com/2021/09/04/six-degrees-of-separation-from-a-place-to-a-killer/

    ReplyDelete