Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday (July 14, 2015)



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish

Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession (bought, library, review copies)
All hardcover, most of from an old and rare bookstore that was going out of business in Old Towne Fredericksburg, Virginia. In no particular order, except the last one, the best one.

Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham
Light in August by William Faulkner
MadamBovary by Gustave Flaubert
Wings of the Dove by Henry James
Native Son by Richard Wright
PaleFire by Vladimir Nabakov
I, Claudius by Robert Graves
Emma by Jane Austen
Tom Jones by Henry Fielding, Second Folio Society edition 1973, Printed and Bound by W&J Mackay Ltd, Catham, Great Britain. I got this for $10, it came with the original receipt from the Folio Society. (scan of the cover and original receipt below.)



7 comments:

  1. An interesting collection of books! Madame Bovary is one I'd like to reread. I read it in highschool but I think it's be interesting to see what I think of it as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely think Madame B, would be better, or at the very least better comprehended now.

      Delete
  2. "Native Son" is a good one, though I think it got a little preachy towards the end. The Folio Society published an illustrated copy of "Beloved" that I want to get...when I save up enough money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Beloved. I thought it was excellent, but I was shocked how many people at Goodreads "hated it."

      Delete
  3. Of these, I've only read Emma, I must admit. What lovely finds! Though it's sad to hear of a bookstore going out of business :-( Especially in such a special place as old town Fredericksburg! I wonder if it's the same place I once bought my kids Richard Scarry's Biggest Pop-Up Book Ever. I hope not! But I fear it might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's not Riberby Books...the other one. I don't remember the name.

      Delete
    2. This was like 3 years ago, on one of our rare jaunts out to Fredericksburg, so I have no memory of that place's name anymore.

      Delete