Saturday, July 11, 2015

NOVA this week (July 11, 2015)



Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA), but since nova means “new” you could also take it to mean new this week.

And the pic is just a really sweet 63 Chevy NOVA SS Coupe.




**********
Random Quotation of the Week: Look at him!...Look at Ireland’s hope!  Said of Stephen Dedalus, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce


**********
Scripture from this week’s reading of The One Year Chronological Bible (NIV): Then they despised the pleasant land; they did not believe his promise. Psalm 106: 24

**********
Excerpt from my current read:  Spring sauntered north, but he had to run like hell to keep it as his traveling companion. ~ Narrative regarding runaway slave Paul D, as he steered North, by looking for newly blossoming trees, from Beloved by Toni Morrison.

I really like this so far - quite unusual.

**********
New vocabulary from my current read:
Profligate: shamelessly immoral   adjective or noun

**********
Vanity Plate of the week:  HATE95 – it only took me a second to decipher this one. I travel, as do many people in my little bedroom community, up and down I-95 almost every day. It is often a congested mess. I don’t hate it myself, but I’m pretty confident that was the intent.

**********
Other thoughts: I started out the week in Southwestern Michigan and flew back to the Old Dominion on Tuesday. This has been bugging me the last several times I’ve flown, so it’s time to vent. Two things:  They are out of control with the privileged boarding classes. It used to be First Class and people with special needs. Now it only STARTS with First Class. Then there are Sapphire members, Platinum Club members, Gold and Silver advantage members, Emerald Elite members, etc. They are going to run out of precious gems and minerals, and will have to resort to Tungsten Club members, and Crude Oil Consortium members. Enough already. But the bigger complaint is the EXACTLY WRONG way they board the plane – front to back. I’m not a PhD, but I can still figure there would be less banging people in the head with your carry on if they boarded the back first, and moved forward. Airlines – ugh!

There, I feel better.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, 95. It's gotten a little better out here, thanks to the expanded HOV, but it's still so often a mess.

    Whenever I've flown with my small children, they always give me the option to board first. And I'm always like, "NO, thank you! We need to spend the least amount of time in that confined space as possible. Everyone on the plane with thank me for getting as far back in the boarding line as possible, trust me." No one ever seems to understand my reasoning on that, though -- they always press me to use the extra time to get settled or whatever. Trust me, we're gonna have a couple of hours in those little seats -- that's plenty of time to get settled.

    (There, that's my airline vent.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...I almost made that very point...what's so great about boarding early anyway, but I had already ranted long enough.

      Delete