Friday, December 31, 2021

2021 Reading Year in Review

2021

 

I read 37 individual works: 22 novels/novellas; one short story collection and four other short stories; two plays; one poem, two biographies; four other non-fiction works; and The Bible: Proverbs thru Malachi (completing the Old Testament).

 

Novels:

Wives and Daughters

The Country of the Pointed Firs

Herzog 

Ratman's Notebooks

Monkey: Journey to the West

Devil in a Blue Dress

Sybil, or The Two Nations

Journey to the End of The Night

Hard Times

The Golden Compass (Northern Lights)

The Wonderful Adventures of Nils

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha

The Loved One

Murder on the Orient Express

The Corrections

The Worm Ouroboros

Rebecca

The Collector

The Haunting of Hill House

At Play in the Fields of the Lord

Ender's Game

The Cellist of Sarajevo


Short Story collection: 

A Medicine for Melancholy and Other Stories by Ray Bradbury

  

Sherlock Holmes short stories:

The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

The Boxcombe Valley Mystery

 

Christmas short stories:

Papa Panov’s Special Christmas Day by Leo Tolstoy

A Christmas Inspiration by Lucy Maud Montgomery

 

Plays:

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams

 

Shakespeare Historical Plays:

King Henry IV, Second Part

 

Poetry

On the Morning of Christ’s Nativity by John Milton

 

Biographies:

John Adams by David McCullough

Thomas Jefferson: A Life by Willard Sterne Randall

 

 

Non-Fiction:

Thru the Bible, Vol. 3: Proverbs - Malachi by J. Vernon McGee


The Consequences of Ideas: Understanding the Concepts that Changed Our World by R. C. Sproul


Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man’s Soul by John Eldredge


Fathered by God: Learning What Your Dad Could Never Teach You by John Eldredge

 

I completed five reading challenges:

Back to the Classics 2021

What’s in a Name? 2021

R.I.P. XVI

A Literary Christmas 2021

 

And finally, I read 16 books for The Classics Club, Round III

 

.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a very successful reading year! Best wishes for 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A resounding year of reading! Good for you!! I think I said that I would read John Adams next year (2022) after your excellent review, which I added it to my list. I'm a little intimidated, but I must put my mind to it. Happy New year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. John Adams is an investment of time no doubt, but I can't recommend it highly enough. He's my favorite founding father, and McCullough is a superb biographer. Happy New Year to you and yours!

      Delete