Sunday, August 22, 2021

The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison (novel #186)


Kings and governors that do exult in strength and beauty and lustihood and rich apparel, showing themselves for awhile upon the stage of the world and open dominion of high heaven, what are they but the gilded summer fly that decayeth with the dying day? ~ Lord Gro

 

The Worm Ouroboros is high fantasy, ostensibly set on the planet Mercury, but it is really just a fantasy version of earth.

 

It tells of a war between Demonland and Witchland, and although the citizens of those lands are named Demons and Witches, they are mortal men. The same goes for the other realms of Goblinland, Impland, and Pixyland. 

 

Whom am I to cheer for if the choice be Demons or Witches?

 

This confused me for a bit, but soon I learned the Witches were cruel and treacherous, while the Demons – misnomer notwithstanding – were the good guys.

 

And two of them, Lord Juss and Lord Brandoch Daha embark of a classic hero quest, to rescue a friend and brother in arms held in enchanted fortress. And while her greatest heroes are thus away, Demonland is perilously beset by the forces of Witchland.

 

Both races are mighty warriors and heroes on both sides pay respect to the valor and duty of their mortal enemies, as described by three-time turncoat Lord Gro…

 

Such glamour hath ever shone to me all my life’s days when I behold great men battling still beneath the bludgeonings of adverse fortune that, howsoever they be mine enemies, it lieth not in my virtue to withhold from admiration of them and well nigh love.

 

There are mythical beasts, including a hippogriff, enchantments, curses, and such, but the eponymous worm, or dragon, Ouroboros hardly plays in the tale. You may see on the cover that Ouroboros forms a circle and is swallowing his own tail; the never-ending circle is symbolic of the wars in this fantasy world.

 

And of course, there are ladies fair and brave. 

 

As high fantasy, this work is sometimes compared to the writings of Tolkien and C. S. Lewis (both read it, with qualified praise), but I think it is more like Norse mythology. I enjoyed it, but I felt Eddison’s world building left much to be desired. 

 

First, it starts as a frame story, where an observer – presumably the narrator – is taken by enchantment to observe a world he is told is Mercury. But I think it’s false to call it a frame story, because the other side of the frame is missing. The story begins with this observer, but he is never mentioned again. That’s not a frame, merely a prologue, and unnecessary. 

 

Second, the notion that this world is Mercury is ridiculous. I have no problem that it doesn’t comply with what we know of Mercury. I can suspend disbelief, but this world is clearly a fantasy version of Earth. The characters refer to Greek mythology, a tree is described as an Irish yew, and one character even quotes Shakespeare. It is a fantasy, and unnecessary to pretend it is set on Mercury.

 

Finally, the names of Demonland, Witchland etc., were confusing at first, and then, just silly when I realized there were merely differing realms of men.

 

It was a fun diversion, but Tolkien and Lewis are still the Gold Standard of the genre.

 

My rating 3.5 of 5 stars



 

I read this as my novel for The Classics Club Spin #27.

 

Excerpts: The Worm Ourboros written in 16thCentury English, which is a bit challenging at times, but it also adds romance and beauty.

 

I was never so poor a man of my hands that I need turn braggart. ~ Lord Brandoch Daha of Demonland

 

You men do say that women’s hearts be faint and feeble, but I shall show thee the contrary is in me. Study to satisfy me. Else will I assuredly smite thee to death with thine own sword. ~ Lady Mevrian of Demonland

 

So, in the golden autumn afternoon, in the midst of that sad main of sedgelands where between slimy banks the weed-choked Druima deviously winds toward the sea, were those two men met together for whose ambition and their pride the world was too little a place to contain them both and peace lying between them. And like some drowsy dragon of the elder slime, squat, sinister, and monstrous, the citadel of Carce slept over well. ~ narrative

 

…to strenuous minds there is an unquietude in over-guietness. ~ Lord Juss of Demonland

 

One last excerpt, that I loved, but needs a bit of context. When an enchanted and peace loving Queen observes the retired armory of Demonland, she is asked by Lord Juss if she despises the instruments of war. Her reply...


O my lord, I think nobly of them. For an ill part it were while we joy in the harvest, to contemn the tools that prepared the land for it and reaped it. ~ Queen Sophonsiba

 

.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. This is such a weird, neat book. I agree with your criticisms of the frame and so on; I suppose Eddison felt them necessary to situate the reader somehow but it would be better off without. I still want to re-read it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean, yes it's so very near...very good. It's certainly unusual, and an exciting read.

      Delete
  2. you're probably aware of it, but this is only the first volume of a four volume series, the last of which, "The Mezentian Gate" isn't finished... but there's also a secret about the whole series that has a lot to do with "A Fish Dinner in Memison"... i loved this work and its language; it seemed more real than any other fantasy i've read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know there was a series, but I wasn't tempted to read more...TIL NOW! Thanks for that :)

      Delete
  3. I read this (and a couple more of the series, but I don't think all) and felt, like you, that they were fine, but not Tolkien or Lewis. But obviously there's a couple of bigger fans around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some works that others love that just baffle me. But this, even though I didn't love it, I can see that others could. I love that about literature.

      Delete