Saturday, March 18, 2023

The Classics Club Spin #33


It is time for the 33rd edition of the Classics Club Spin – List 20 books from my CC TBR, by Sunday, March 19. The mods then pick a random number, and I have until April 30 to finish reading my spin book. Presumably, there’s some penalty if I don’t, but I always do, so no worries.

I like my entire list. It has a couple authors that I really like, but haven’t read in quite some time: McCullers, Cather, Conrad; some new-to-me authors that I’ve been meaning to get to for quite some time: Wilder, Achebe; some other new-to-me that I have no idea what to expect: Beerbohm, Green, Gardner; and then a mix of very familiar to not so familiar authors. I don’t know what to hope for. I’ll just say The Day of the Jackal because the title is intriguing.

 

 

1. The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers

2. Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens

3. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court by Mark Twain

4. Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm

5. Post Office by Charles Bukowski

6. Loving by Henry Green

7. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

8. The Magus by John Fowles

9. The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder

10. Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

11. The Ballad of the Sad Café by Carson McCullers

12. Grendel by John Gardner

13. Things Fall Apart by China Achebe

14. Scoop by Evelyn Waugh

15. Cool Hand Luke by Don Pearce

16. The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier

17. O Pioneers! By Willa Cather

18. The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

19. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

20. The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth


6 comments:

  1. Ohhh The Silver Sword - one of favourite all-time children's books. McCuller's is also popping up quite a bit in blogger land atm - was there a significant anniversary or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I've just wished you have The Last of the Mohicans, and you did!
    It was one of my favorites. I have just finished reading his daughter's book - a journal, not a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child, Wilder was my favorite author. I read the entire series every year. I've read it again many times as an adult, at least twice aloud to my children. And every single time I re-read it, I appreciate her writing in a new way. The first time I read the first book (Little House in the Big Woods) aloud to my children, I choked up and cried at the end. That took me by surprise because I'd never been emotional over the books. I really hope you like what you've picked, but I think reading the entire series from beginning to end would be more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't come up for the spin, but I'll still get to it eventually. I understand your point about the entire series in order...but I'm not certain I want to commit to the full series. The Long Winter was recommended by someone I trust, as the best if I only read one. If I love it, I'll start over at the beginning.

      Delete