Saturday, June 11, 2016

NOVA this week (June 11,2016)



Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).

Today is the final leg of The Triple Crown: The Belmont Stakes, though there will be no Triple Crown winner this year. I don’t expect much drama either as this should be Exaggertor’s race – no contest.

So, my bookish friends will be happy to learn this will probably by my last Horse Racing post, until perhaps the Breeder’s Cup in November, when I am hoping there is one more head-to-head showdown between Nyquist and Exaggerator.

Just for fun, and to give this post some bookish content, I’ve come up with thoroughbred race horse names derived from classic novels. Some are obvious, some not so much. Can you deduce the classic novel that inspired the name? Hint: all derived from the classic novels I’ve completed on my quest, i.e. novels 1-68. Answers revealed below.

Belle of Tara
Addie’s Wish
Scout’s Journey
Malenky Droog
Windmill Warrior
Fortuitous Dixon
Empyrean Guard
Dicken’s Muse
Spice of Arakis
Bluestone Road





Belle of Tara – Gone With the Wind
Addie’s Wish – As I Lay Dying
Scout’s Journey – To Kill a Mockingbird
Malenky Droog – A Clockwork Orange (Nasdat for Little Friend)
Windmill Warrior – Don Quixote
Fortuitous Dixon – Lucky Jim
Empyrean Guard – The Sheltering Sky
Dicken’s Muse – Tom Jones
Spice of Arakis – Dune
Bluestone Road – Beloved






No comments:

Post a Comment