Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday - books set outside the United States (July 19, 2016)



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish

July 19: Ten Books set outside the United States.

Since the U.S. is a real place, I’m going to infer this means real places outside the U.S. (that is – not Middle Earth or the planet Arakis). Reading mostly classics, I have quite a few outside the U.S., so I’m going to choose my Top 10, but only one per country (apologies to Jane Austen and Dostoevsky). 

David Copperfield (Jolly Ole England)



The Sheltering Sky (Saharan, North Africa)

Catch-22 (Italy)

I, Claudius (Ancient Rome)



Don Quixote (Spain)

Moby Dick (in the Heart of the Sea)

8 comments:

  1. I love the "guess" and the "heart of the sea"! Especially the latter as a place outside of US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was rather amused with myself. Heart of the Sea is actually a play on words...since it is the title on the true story of the Essex, which was the inspiration for Moby Dick

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You really MUST! Even though I'm not a huge fan; it's one of those must reads. (but I do remember college life when you have to budget your reading.)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Bravo...I knew you would get the allusion.

      Delete
  4. Catch-22! One of those I keep intending to read! :) Loved your review of The Sheltering Sky! Intend to read more Dickens following the Pickwick Papers. Thank you for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my TTT earlier.

    I love your list, read quite a few of them but the others are all on my wishlist. Great choices.

    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete