Saturday, December 23, 2017

Used Bookstore Finds - NOVA This Week

Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).
 
Usually in Northern Virginia, but this week mostly in NOAL (Northern Alabama), which comes very close to being a fun and ironic play on words.

I was in Huntsville on business, which is extreme Northern Alabama, nearly SOTN (Southern Tennessee - doesn't trip of the tongue so well). On the way home Thursday, I had a few hours to kill before my flight, and there was a used book store right next to my lunch stop – so as you can imagine – that was a nice diversion. I found a few treasures, most importantly this gem.

I read The Father Christmas Letters last year at Christmas time, from an eReader. It is a collection of letters that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote to his children, posing himself as Father Christmas. The letters were illustrated by Prof Tolkien (again, purported to be drawings Father Christmas made for the children). In my eReader, the illustrations were small and black and white. They are more enjoyable in full size and color. The cover is from 1926 and illustrates that the North Polar Bear accidentally turned on the Northern Lights full blast.

The book is a bit rare, so it was a good find.

Hope you have a Blessed Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment