Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Dynamic Duos in Literature

TOP TEN TUESDAY is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl


I haven’t participated in – yikes! Literally years. This topic caught my eye.

 

Topic for February 22, 2022: Top Ten Dynamic Duos in Literature

 

10. Rhett Butler and Scarlett O’HaraGone With the Wind

I felt an obligation for at least one romantic couple, but the most obvious choice was Romeo and Juliette, but aren’t Rhett and Scarlett so much more interesting? Of course, they’re not truly a romantic couple. Are they?


9. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. HydeThe Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Super obvious


8. Don Quixote and Sancho PanzaDon Quixote

I didn’t love the book, but it would have been unbearable without Sancho


7. Bishop Jean Marie Latour and his vicar Father Joseph VaillantDeath Comes for the Archbishop

Marvelous book and a touching, powerful relationship


6. Tom and HuckThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

They were so often, so misguided in their understanding of the world, but they understood friendship, loyalty, and courage


5. Nick Andros and TomThe Stand

This is a little one-sided, because it is Nick’s willingness to accept the companionship of Tom – who will only add to Nick’s struggle, and Nick toyed with leaving the true-hearted man-child to his own fate. But Tom would simply have not survived in the raging world, and Nick…just couldn’t abandon him.


4. Jem and ScoutTo Kill a Mockingbird

So touching to see brother and sister also best friends.


3. George and LennieOf Mice and Men

Oh, how my heart breaks…not for Lennie, but for George and the horrible, misguided, pure intentioned decision he must make to protect his friend. This is a love story.


2. Frodo and SamThe Lord of the Rings

No commentary necessary


1. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. WatsonThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

There would be no pleasure in reading of the World’s Greatest Detective if not for his friend and straight man

 

.

13 comments:

  1. I love that you dove into the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, great choices. I disliked Steinbeck when I had to read some of his books in school but I've revisited him as an adult and learned to love him. But I can't face re-reading Of Mice and Men. So heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely heartbreaking. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. When I saw this in my feed, I thought Joseph, for sure, will have Sam & Frodo at no. 1. So you surprised me :-)
    But delighted to see Nick and Tom come in at no. 5. My favourite King story, that is long overdue for a reread....and a decent TV series!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I love Jem and Scout. They really are a great brother/sister pair.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I looked at your sidebar and thought that I probably don't have many books and genres in common but it will be fun to browse through all your categories, so I'm a new follower.

    I see pairings I didn't choose... but wish I had. Rhett and Scarlett (were most certainly romantic!), Quixote & Sancho (dreamed the impossible dream), The Stand I read twice but so far back that I wouldn't have remembered the characters' names though I remember the plot, Jem & Scout (in my top 5 books of all-time), George & Lennie (were going to live off the fat o' the land), and Frodo & Sam (close to my heart). Thanks for an enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful list of duos! We share somewhat the same taste as four of your duos are on my list as well. Especially Don & Sancho, and Sherlock with his trusty Dr. Watson. I appreciate your inclusion of the duo from Cather's great Death Comes for the Archbishop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot agree more about Sancho. I'm reading DQ again, and I really am fixated on Sancho.

    ReplyDelete