Thursday, September 8, 2022

Six Degrees of Separation: from City of Glass to the Hobbit

Six Degrees of Separation is a monthly meme hosted by Kate @ booksarmyfavouriteandbest.

It isn’t part of the rules, but I try to stick to the Classics and books I’ve read or those on my TBR. This month’s chain is supposed to begin with the final book in last month’s chain, but I didn’t play last month. My concluding book was City of Glass by Paul Aster, the last time I did. The title of which reminds me of…

 

Invisible Cities, which is a fictional dialogue between Marco Polo and Kublai Khan. Another work of imaginary dialogue (and journey) between historical persons is…

 

The Divine Comedy an epic poem, often consisting of dialogue between Dante Alighieri and Virgil, as the latter guides Alighieri through Hell, Purgatory, and ultimately to Paradise. Another story of a traveler making their way to Heaven is…

 

Pilgrim’s Progress, John Bunyan’s classic allegory of Pilgrim’s journey to the Celestial City. For far less philosophical reasons, this reminds me of…

 

Slaughterhouse-Five, whose main character, Billy Pilgrim, is “unstuck in time,” meaning he travels through time and space against his control or will. There is another involuntary space traveler in…

 

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The main character, Dent, Arthur Dent, is a simple man reluctantly caught up in a fantastic adventure, much like the beloved hero of…

 

The Hobbit: The tale of Bilbo Baggins' journey There and Back Again.

 

And that is how you get from City of Glass to the Hobbit.

 


 

 

.


4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, and I wanted to say I love your header. Secondly, I wanted to say that it's cool to connect different character's journeys through a reading challenge. :)
    -Quinley
    P.S. I should also I say, I mostly only read classics too. I've read books that aren't classics, but not as often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quinley...the header is original by my Son.

      Delete