Saturday, June 8, 2024

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (novel #229)

Here was the truth, here was the life that belonged to him; and he, who fancied himself so scornful of arbitrary restraints, had been afraid to break away from his desk because of what people might think of his stealing a holiday! ~ narrative regarding Newland Archer

 

Set in late 19th Century, upper-class New York, The Age of Innocence follows the last days of bachelorhood and early married life of gentleman lawyer Newland Archer. And then, the conflict he suffers between duty and self-indulgence.

 

He’s not a bad guy, and his fiancée/wife is by all accounts a peach. But sweet May is not quite equal to Newland’s ideal of an independent minded woman. He has some progressive ideas about equality of the sexes, but…

 

There was no use in trying to emancipate a wife who had not the dimmest notion that she was not free…

 

So, they are wed.

 

He had married (as most young men did) because he had met a perfectly charming girl at the moment when a series of rather aimless sentimental adventures were ending in premature disgust; and she had represented peace, stability, comradeship, and the steadying sense of an unescapable duty.

 

But only weeks before the wedding, enter May’s cousin Countess Ellen Olenska. Ellen’s presence and behavior is scandalous to the upper-class New York society for leaving her husband and though the family harbors her from the horrible count, she is still something of an embarrassment and social liability. Newland is disdainful with all the rest, but he slowly perceives a fascinating soul, unbound by tradition and duty.

 

And as Deano sang…that’s amore!

 

Poor Newland. He must do what is right, or what he desperately wants. He concludes that in all the world, in all of time, only he and Ellen suffered such an unbearable duty.

 

Ellen Olenska was like no other woman, he was like no other man: their situation, therefore, resembled no one else’s, and they were answerable to no tribunal but that of their own judgment.

 

I was never quite sure what Wharton intended the reader to wish for:  Newland and Ellen to run away together, or for Newland to honor duty and societal codes (probably the latter). I was sympathetic to his unhappiness, but I’ll spare the spoiler as to which road he chose.

 

His wife May? Well, she is just a little bit more clever and more independent minded than is apparent to Newland or the reader.

 

The three main characters, Newland, May, and the Countess Olenska were all vivid and believable. Secondary characters were probably caricatures that Wharton fully intended to lampoon society elites of the gilded age. I thought it was masterfully done. It was a bit esoteric for me though, and I don’t feel it has aged particularly well. For that, I give it…

 

3 ½ out of 5 stars


 

 

Which I’ll remind, is a good rating.

 

This novel satisfies the “Virtue” category: (title must name a virtue: “innocence”) in the What’s in a Name 2024 challenge.

 

.

4 comments:

  1. I felt that Wharton was being rather balanced in her treatment of the traditional and the progressive. She was critical of the traditions where they deserved to be criticized but she also showed that those traditions held the fabric of society and families together. With the advent of more liberal behaviour, the society began to change in a way that made it less cohesive and something was lost. I thought Wharton did a wonderful job of illustrating (not telling) both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Cleo (Sorry, Joseph! WordPress does not like me.) FYI, I commented on your 20 Books of Summer, and my comment was eaten. So...I'm just going to say it here: I was excited about Uncle Tom's Cabin. I know it wasn't on the top of your list. I asked about your translator for Crime and PUnishment. If it is Garnett, I read hers, and it was perfect. I thought Cost of Discipleship was a more slow and contemplative read. And I also said that Animal Farm was a quick and easy read. (It's certainly relevant!) I was happy to see Tom Sawyer, but just because I got a lot of out it. It's a fun read mostly. And then I said, Best success to you! and Good to see you!!

      Delete
  2. I agree about May. She was my favorite character -- absolutely clever and astute, more than Newman knew or cared. Wharton is great at elite caricature building. It definitely felt that way in The House of Mirth. She obviously was put off by high-society. But like you said, only a small minority can know about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review of a novel I really should reread. I do remember liking May and being rather annoyed with Newland and his infatuation with Ellen Olenska.

    ReplyDelete