Saturday, January 8, 2022

Back to the Classics 2022

This will be my seventh year taking the Back to the Classics challenge, hosted by Books and Chocolate




 

The categories, and my choices:

 

1. A 19th century classic

Oliver Twist (1838)

Charles Dickens

 

2. A 20th century classic

The Recognitions (1955)

William Gaddis

 

3. A classic by a woman author

Go Set a Watchman (written in the 1950s; published posthumously in 2015)

Harper Lee

 

4. A classic in translation

Invisible Cities

Italo Calvino

 

5. A classic by BIPOC author

A House for Mr Biswas

V. S. Naipaul

 

6. Mystery/Detective/Crime Classic

The Maltese Falcon

Dashiell Hammett

 

7. A Classic Short Story Collection

Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories

Nathaniel Hawthorne

 

8. Pre-1800 Classic

The Pilgrim’s Progress (1684)

John Bunyan

 

9. A Nonfiction Classic

The Prince

Niccoló Machiavelli

 

10. Classic That's Been on Your TBR List the Longest

The Death of the Heart

Elizabeth Brown

 

11. Classic Set in a Place You'd Like to Visit

Nightmare Abbey (England)

Thomas Love Peacock

 

12. Wild Card Classic

Foundation

Isaac Asimov

 

.

8 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see this challenge will be offered in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is one of my favorites, and most of my books for this also count for my Classics Club list.

      Delete
  2. Oh, cool. I'm planning to read Oliver Twist and Pilgrim's Progress this year. Both rereads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'll watch for your reviews and compare notes. Oliver Twist is a reread for me, but I've only read a children's version of Pilgrim's Progress.

      Delete
  3. Cool choices, Joseph!
    Maltese falcon is on my Classics Club list, and I've been curious about what's called noir books. Can't wait to read your thoughts!
    And you listed some books I've never heard before. Nightmare Abbey seems interesting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm struggling through The Recognitions now. I knew I probably wouldn't love it, but I have high hopes for the rest. Thanks Fanda :)

      Delete
  4. Love Oliver Twist! Enjoy the reread! Asimov I have yet to get to but hope to in the not-so-distant future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Dickens is often better on reread, so I'm looking forward to it. Cheers :)

      Delete