Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (novel #199)

…death, fires, and burglary, make all men equals. ~ narrative from Oliver Twist

 

Oliver Twist, alternately titled The Beggar Boy’s Progress, is Dicken’s second novel, one of his best known, and shorter than most. If you believe the myth that Dickens was paid per word, you might believe he hadn’t quite learned the full value of verbosity just yet.

 

It’s the story of a poor orphan – obviously, with a heart of gold – of course, who unbeknownst to himself, and the reader, has been robbed of his rightful station – yep, falls amongst vagabonds and thieves – why not, then into kind and caring hands – sure, repeat vagabonds, repeat kind and caring, throw in a whole bunch of ironic coincidence, and then oh so satisfying justice.

 

My epitomizing might seem like criticism. It isn’t, though I think sometimes Dickens is a bit of a guilty pleasure. Please note the emphasis on sometimes, because I love Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities – the greatest novel EVER; David Copperfield and Bleak House amongst my all-time favorites; and A Christmas Carol - amazing! But, every work of Dickens cannot rise to such standards. 

 

I first read this at least 30 years ago and loved it, but this time round, I was just a bit less impressed. I will make but one precise criticism. The unbelievable coincidence – a Dickens trademark – is just too unbelievable in this tale. Too many; too frequent; too perfect*. I’ve struggled with this before with Dickens. It’s in every novel. But, each novel should stand on its own. A coincidence in one novel, does not render a different coincidence in a distinct novel less plausible, though it sort of feels that way. But when Mr. Dickens employs one ironic twist, after another, after another, after another, in the same story, it’s just absurd. Oliver Twist was his second novel. I have noticed that he progresses as an author and does not lean so heavily on this device in later novels.

 

And again, lest my point is lost in all this nit-picking, it is a very enjoyable read. When Dickens’ hallmark poetic justice, teetering on the edge of calamity, begins to unfold, I couldn’t put it down. Very captivating, very satisfying!

 

Let the tears which fell, and the broken words which were exchanged in the long close embrace between the orphans, be sacred. A father, sister, and mother, were gained, and lost, in that one moment. Joy and grief were mingled in the cup; but there were no bitter tears: for even grief itself arose so softened, and clothed in such sweet and tender recollections, that it became a solemn pleasure, and lost all character of pain.

 

 

My rating: 3 1/2  out of 5 stars

 

 

 

 

This novel satisfies 19th Century Classic in the Back to the Classics Challenge 2022

 

 

 

 

* Yes, I know “too perfect” is grammatically untenable, unless of course one uses it for effect.

 

.

 

 


4 comments:

  1. Victorian novels on a whole are so often rife with coincidences. Jane Eyre just happens to be taken in by her cousins? Etc. I try not to let that jolt me out of my suspension of disbelief, but when they start to pile up, that gets harder and harder, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...it was just a bit too much in this for for me.

      Delete
  2. Aww, yes, it is still so enjoyable. I planned to read it again this summer, but I'm having second thoughts bc I'm behind in reading books I've NOT read. For one, this month I am supposed to start Bleak House w/ my book group, and I'm very intimidated. I know, you said it was your favorite, which is encouraging. But...I struggle with Dickens. OT was so very enjoyable compared to several of his tomes I started and could not continue. So, we'll see...I just don't want BH to end the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Bleak House, but yep, it's a long one.

      Delete