Saturday, July 3, 2021

Six Degrees of Separation: from Eats, Shoots & Leaves to A Tale of Two Cities

Six Degrees of Separation is a monthly meme hosted by Kate @ booksarmyfavouriteandbest. 

 

This month’s chain begins the grammar guide, Eats, Shoots & Leaves. The title of which, is the second-best argument for the Oxford comma. The best argument sentence is: “I’d like to thank my parents, Mother Teresa and the Pope”. I haven’t read Eat, Shoots & Leaves, but I’m familiar, and I’m a big fan of the Oxford comma (never wrong to use it, sometimes horribly wrong if you don’t). I have read the rest of these, and as usual, I am sticking to the classics.

 

The grammar guide let me to the book that breaks all the grammar rules: 


Ulysses by James Joyce. Not a fan of that book, but it led me to another by Joyce, that I found much more accessible.

 

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. And that for obvious reasons, reminds me of:

 

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. I’m not a big fan of Henry James either, but I did like this one. And the main character, Isabel Archer, reminds me of an erstwhile book blogger, whom I shall not name, but…she is THE #1 FAN of Margaret Mitchell and…

 

Gone With the Wind, the heroine of which, is of course, Scarlett O’Hara. Perhaps she is an anti-heroine. Regardless, Scarlett reminds me of Becky Sharp from…

 

Vanity Fair. I’m not the only one, there are some who surmise that Becky was in part an inspiration for Scarlett. I did like Vanity Fair very much, and you know who else did? Charles Dickens. In fact, he named one of his children after William Thackeray. So, I’m going with a Dickens novel to wrap this up, but which one? I’ll just go with my favorite, and Dickens’ best…

 

A Tale of Two Cities

 

 


 

And that is how you get from Eats, Shoots and Leaves to A Tale of Two Cities.


.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Not a fan of Henry James or James Joyce after being forced to read them in high school. Vanity Fair is one of my favourites.
    Great chain using the classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Henry James earliest works OK, but later...blech. And yes, Vanity Fair is marvelous. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete